Applying to the Internship
WHO CAN APPLY
- Canadian citizens and landed immigrants enrolled in journalism programs at Canadian universities, community colleges, and polytechnical institutions;
- Canadian citizens and landed immigrants working at independent student-run newspapers, digital publications or broadcast outlets on Canadian campuses;
- Canadian citizens enrolled in journalism programs abroad.
HOW TO APPLY
Please provide the following:
- A CV including relevant experience, both professional and educational.
- A statement of interest of 800 to 1,000 words, detailing why you think you would be a good fit for the program. The statement of interest can be in written form or a presentation to camera in a video shot with a phone.
- Three samples of your journalism — news or feature stories of between 800-1,000 words long. You may submit audio or video broadcast pieces but at least one of your three samples must be text-based (written form). If you submit broadcast pieces you must include full transcripts. No opinion pieces will be considered.
- Two letters of reference from academic or professional contacts.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Please label your material as directed:
- Lastname, Firstname 1-CV – e.g. Fox, Bill 1-CV
- Lastname, Firstname 2-Statement – e.g. Fox, Bill 2-Statement
- Lastname, Firstname 3-Sample# – e.g. Fox, Bill 3-Sample1 / Fox, Bill 3-Sample2 / Fox, Bill 3-Sample3
- External links to text-based articles are acceptable.
- External links to Vimeo, YouTube, or SoundCloud, or an otherwise accessible format are required for video or audio broadcast files.
Email your material to the following email address: email@example.com
- Subject line should be Lastname, Firstname Political Matters application – e.g. Fox, Bill Political Matters application
Letters of reference should be sent independently by your referee to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please be sure to send your referee these instructions:
- Letters should be labelled with your name (not theirs) – e.g. Fox, Bill reference
- Email subject line should be Lastname, Firstname Political Matters reference – e.g. Fox, Bill Political Matters reference
WHEN TO SUBMIT
Applications and letters of reference must be submitted by March 27, 2020
Please note we will not consider improperly labeled, incomplete, or late applications (those submitted after 11:59 p.m. on that date).
You will be contacted within a week to 10 days if you have been selected for an interview.